Cleaning Your Memory Foam Mattress (It’s Really Easy!)
Sleeping on memory foam is like a warm hug at night – although it might unknowingly be a hug from dirt and bacteria on the mattress. Gross.
Not-so-fun-fact: we shed 30,000-40,000 dead skin cells per minute, and sleep for an average of 8 hours
So, it comes down to this: cleaning your memory foam mattress isn’t optional. There are no excuses. It’s easy – we swear.
Cleaning A Memory Foam Mattress Without Stains
Congratulations if your mattress doesn’t appear to have any VISIBLE stains! But microscopically, we can agree it isn’t clean. Make a habit of cleaning your mattress every six months. If you or someone at home has any health issues, we recommend cleaning every end of the season.
All you need to do is remove the machine-washable mattress cover and let the washing machine do its job. Now get a regular vacuum with an upholstery attachment or even a handheld vacuum to suck all lint, mites and allergens on your mattress. We also recommend letting it breathe on a clean outdoor space like your patio.
Cleaning A Memory Foam Mattress with Stains And/or Odour
If you did get some stains, it’s not the end of the world. It’s still not too hard!
Now, for the fun cleaning action:
1. As above, if your mattress foam has a zip cover, remove it and machine-wash. Leave to air dry.
2. Vacuum the mattress surface. Remember to go through the sides as well.
3. Spot clean the stain with a damp cloth and mild detergent (e.g., dishwashing liquid). Mix them together until foamy – please use as little water as possible to avoid seepage through the mattress. This can create a site for moulds to grow on (EEP!). Lastly, stay clear of any harsh chemicals like bleach and ammonia to avoid permanent damage.
4. Work your way from outside the stain towards the centre in
5. If bad odour is present from urine or sweat, vinegar could do wonders to remove it. Fill in a spray bottle with a mixture of
6. Spray on the smelly area and scrub in circular motion.
Drying the Mattress
Place your mattress
There goes your clean memory foam mattress – in all its glory ready again for another good night’s sleep.